Sunday, 4 June 2017

Mechanics Consistency Intensity

Mechanics – Consistency – Intensity

Part 1 - Mechanics

This is the guiding tenant for training for a person who has the goal of improving their health and fitness. Mechanics, Consistency, Intensity (MCI) is one the foundation principles of Crossfit. Step 1 is to execute the movement with the correct mechanics – no constraints of weights on the bar, the clock running out, your friends in the class screaming at you to go faster – just do it perfectly.




Now, being step 1, I would think that would be where most people start, however during my time across plenty of gyms, all too often I see people that want to jump straight to step 3, intensity. They chuck some more plates on the bar, hide up the back, and hope the coach won’t see them whilst they unleash fury on their barbell and flail their way to get their chin over the bar.


If the builder of your house started putting the walls up and the roof on before laying down the foundational slab, you would be asking some questions. The same applies to movements in the gym, if I see you deadlifting 100kg after I just watched you round your back, fold in half and rip the head off your “warm-up” sets at 60kg, I’ll have some questions for you. Not only are you not getting the stimulus we want from that movement, you are slowing your progress, and exposing yourself to a greater chance of getting injured. You perpetuate the stereotypical Crossfitter – Just get it done, fast and loose. Don’t be that guy.




So next time you are at the gym, loading up some weight and hoping that your coach doesn’t come over and watch your lift, just take a second and think what you are training for? It is hard to get fitter and stronger while you are injured, taking shortcuts will eventually catch up with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment